10.26.2013

hanging a plant

DIY hanging pothos

I not only inherited my maternal great-grandmother's giant split-leaf philodendron years ago, but also for a housewarming gift asked my mother for a cutting off my deceased grandmother's pothos plant (not to be confused with a heart-leaf philodendron), the one she always kept atop her toilet tank. So it's fitting that this pothos start now has a place in my own bathroom, hanging off the end of the clawfoot tub. Since my great-grandmother has been dead for 25 years and my grandmother for 16, the fact that houseplants of theirs are still living and thriving I find rather amazing as well as nostalgic. Who knew common houseplants had such longevity?

Philodendrons and pothos (aka devil's ivy), of course, are some of the easiest houseplants to maintain: prolific, tolerant of low light, and hard to kill. Because my thumb's only a light green, durability and a degree of self-sufficiency are qualities I highly value in my leafy dependents. I water them when I think about it and keep them away from direct sun, and they're more or less content. Plus, they detox my air.

However, this poor start has been sitting in a canning jar filled with water for three-and-a-half months till I found the right pot. The plant has lost leaves and color, the new growth smaller, stunted, so I'm hoping it likes its new earthy digs.


hanging pothos

For this simple DIY project, I used this tutorial, modified to look more like these from 3191 with a color accent and a more streamlined shape. The pot is a hand-thrown planter found at Goodwill for $3, a bit small but fine for a couple of years. I liked the shape, glaze, and built-in saucer.


hanging pothos plant, secondhand pot

The hanger is cobbled together from a small key ring and a stainless S-hook from IKEA, both of which I had on hand, wrapped with a bit of thrifted hot-pink cotton crochet thread below the hanger and on the underside, which, granted, is a bit trendy but can be easily undone. 


hanging plant, top ring detail


hanging pothos, knot detail

Full-on macramé is too retro and visually heavy for me, so this look with the thin hemp, minimal knotting, and hot-pink accent color modernizes the hanging-plant concept and softens my stark-white bathroom. And with any luck, the hemp twine will hold and the pot not come crashing down on my head the first time I take a bath in the tub, which, admittedly, I have not yet done, bathing (as opposed to showering) being for me purely a winter sport.


hanging pothos underside with accent detail

2 comments:

  1. The plant looks happy. I'd give a lot for a clawfoot tub. In winter, you'd never get me out of it.---cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plant had fuller, bigger leaves back in early July when my brother hand-delivered it, the roots wrapped in wet paper towels and tin foil by my mom. So I hope it will bounce back and grow bushy. I'll wait to prune till it's had time to adjust. And I, too, love baths, but unfortunately the intense steamy heat on the face isn't good for rosacea, so I've been taking them even less than on those rare occasions in the past when my tub was freshly scrubbed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...