1.29.2012

T.B.

Goodwill Superstore #01, SE 6th Avenue, PDX

Last night, I went for the first time with friends to Harvey's Comedy Club. The headliner, Tyler Boeh, displayed a style both witty yet physical, sensitive yet cutting; I laughed aloud (rare). 

However, one of his extended jokes involved Goodwill, and while I cringed at his hard truth that Goodwill shoppers are obviously not good with money, I was annoyed at the long riff about the Goodwill credit card because as any frequent Goodwill-goer knows, the inevitable question from the clerk prior to purchase, "Do you have a Goodwill card?" is a reference to a partially defunct club/savings card, not a credit card. The question, though, rankles each time as a reminder that additional savings will not be mine: after racking up $400 at Goodwill, I won't be granted $10 off my next purchase, nor will I be receiving a birthday discount. (These things one overhears in line.) Goodwill accepts discount cards contracted prior to some to-me-unknown date, at least before two-and-a-half years ago when I started shopping Goodwill regularly, but no longer signs up new club members, unlike, say, Costco or Fred Meyer.

Our group were of the last to trickle from the comedy club, and as I passed Mr. Boeh, who was standing near the exit with his posse, I bit my teacher tongue, though he is here corrected.

P.S. And by the way, Mr. Boeh, last night my electric-blue silk scarf ($5), black-and-white-striped Tommy Bahama boatneck t-shirt ($10), and fitted, black down jacket ($20) were all from Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...